The Relay for Life is the ACS's signature event. Relays are a celebration of life where the community is brought together to remember loved ones that lost the battle with cancer, support those who are currently battling cancer, and also to celebrate the lives of cancer survivors. The relay offers everyone in the community an opportunity to participate in the fight against cancer. Teams will have an assigned place around the soccer complex and will take turns walking or running around the soccer field from 6:00 pm until midnight. Each team is asked to have at least one representative walking at all times during the event (I usually have participants sign up to walk in 30 minute intervals...so you wouldn't have to walk that much if you didn't want to.)
There are a number of different ways you can participate:
1. You can donate money to our team...Spring Valley High School.
- You can purchase a little cupcake (a paper one...) or a luminary dedicated to someone you know who is battling, or who has battled, cancer. At the relay, when it gets dark all the luminaries are lighted and it creates a surreal atmosphere. The paper cupcakes are $1.00 and the luminaries are $10.00 each...we accept cash and checks made payable to the American Cancer Society.
- You can purchase a t-shirt...the short sleeved t-shirts are $15.00 and the long sleeve t-shirts are $20.00. They are available in blue, purple, orange and garnet. Sizes available are Youth Small all the way up to 3XL. Please let me know if you would like to order a shirt. Here is a link to pictures of the shirts...orange and garnet and blue and purple. We take checks made payable to "RSN" or cash.
- You can pledge $10 to our Derby Dashers. Faculty and Student Body members including Deuce Harris, Michelle Spigner, Michelle Wyatt, Thomas Agostini, Tori Agostini, and Breanna Murrin are planning to run through the duration of Relay. The members will run for an hour each, trading off throughout the night. We encourage all you you to pledge to Derby Dashers, as it is a physically demanding task. The students will be going around the school asking for pledges, but email me if you want more information.
3. If you are a survivor of cancer, you are invited to come and walk in the first lap of the Relay. This lap is a very powerful experience for everyone.
If you want to join the Spring Valley team for the Relay for Life of Northeast Columbia, just follow the link and click the orange "join team" tab and follow the instructions to register.
If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Spigner at email@example.com.