The SV Arts Academy students provided artwork in response to monologues written from case studies from homeless youth at Spring Valley High School and Richland School District Two. A few are on display outside the Spring Valley Media Center, others can be viewed at Spring Valley Visual Arts website.
Homelessness Facts: Nationwide & In Your Area
- There are approximately 1.7 million homeless teens in the US
- The average age a teen becomes homeless is 14.7 years.
- 39% of the homeless population is young people under 18.
- In Richland School District Two, 523 students were identified as homeless during the 2013-2014 school year.
- During the 2006-2007 school year, Richland School District Two identified only 64 students as homeless.
- 73% of students who are homeless are doubled-up and living with another family.
- About 33% of students who are identified as homeless were absent 20 or more days of school.